Thursday 17 September 2009

'reach copyright settlement' Coldplay


Coldplay have reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with Joe Satriani after the latter accused the band of copying one of his songs.

Satriani sued the band last year claiming that they used "substantial, original portions" of his 2004 song If I Could Fly on their track Viva La Vida. But legal sources told Billboard that a financial settlement between the two parties may have been reached, and Coldplay would not be needed to admit any wrongdoing.
When he originally launched legal proceedings in Los Angeles in December, Satriani said: "I felt like a sticker went right through my heart. It hurt so much. The second I heard it, I knew it was If I Could Fly.

"Almost instantly, from the minute their song came out, my email box flooded with people going, 'Have you heard this song by Coldplay? They ripped you off man'. I mean, I couldn't tell you how many emails I received. Everybody noticed the similarities between the songs. It's pretty obvious."
Coldplay had initially responded by saying: "If there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental and just as surprising to us as to him."
As well as Satriani, Yusuf Islam, the artist at one time known as Cat Stevens, is also reportedly considering taking action against the band for the same song. It is alleged that his 1973 song Foreigner Suite bore resemblance to Viva La Vida. Little known US band Creaky Boards have also accused Coldplay copying their song, again claiming it bore a resemblance to Viva La Vida.
Coldplay, led by Chris Martin, is one of the world's top-selling pop acts. The Viva La Vida single, taken from the album of the same name, was number one in both the US and UK Singles Charts. The album Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends also hit number one in the US and UK Album Charts.

No comments: